Looking for the best family hotels in San Diego? Finding the perfect family hotel ain’t easy, I know that! But don’t worry, take a deep breath and relax because I’ve been researching for hours on this thing called the internet for the best San Diego suite hotels for families, so you and your beloved family can enjoy San Diego’s beach and sunshine in style!
My research was done thinking of families of 2 adults and 2 kids, and this article is organized by price, starting with the luxurious resorts, continuing with the mid-range ones, and last but not least, the budget resorts to save money! Also, stay until the end and check out the bonus section with the best VRBOs in San Diego for families!
San Diego is super popular, not only for families, but for students, couples, and tourists from all around the world! So right after you pick the perfect hotel from the list below for you and your family, go and book your hotel room before it’s too late and it’s all booked!
Grab your surfboard and enjoy the ride! Let’s dive in and see all the amazing hotels!
If you are in a hurry
If you need to book fast and don’t have a lot of time to read the whole article, here you have my top 3 recommendations for the best San Diego suite hotels for families!
Here are the main hotels to book in advance:
Since we are talking about the San Diego area and it is pretty big, I thought you’d benefit from a map to see where each hotel is located:
Luxury (US$800 and up)
- Rancho Valencia Resort & Spa – Step into this luxurious resort and feel like a V.I.P.! With an incredible villa style and located in Rancho Santa Fe, this resort is great for stays with kids since it offers babysitting services, free bike rentals, 15 tennis courts, and even tennis lessons! Their biggest rooms are “La Hacienda” for big families, with 3 king beds for a comfortable stay!
- Estancia La Jolla Hotel & Spa – This hotel has 3 onsite restaurants with kid-friendly meals for an additional charge, board games and puzzles for kids, and a spa and wellness center for the parents! The family guest rooms can host up to 4 guests and some of the family suites up to 5 guests.
- Pendry San Diego – With downtown San Diego attractions just steps away, this luxurious hotel offers amazing amenities, like a terrace with an outdoor pool, a fitness center, an onsite restaurant, free breakfast, and a babysitting service which is perfect for families with small children! All the rooms come with an ensuite bathroom, air conditioning, and upscale furniture!
- The Lodge at Torrey Pines – What an elegant option for families! Featuring the most amazing wooden furniture, a big swimming pool open to all ages, a spa, and a golf course within walking distance! This hotel offers 4 types of rooms and all are suitable for families. When you’re booking, check for the rooms with extra large bathtubs and private balconies!
- Manchester Grand Hyatt – With San Diego Airport only 2 miles (3.3 km) distance, this downtown San Diego hotel offers free breakfast and 2 swimming pools, 1 open to all ages, and the 2nd is an adults-only pool. For large families, I recommend the suites that come with a large double bed and a sofa bed and the great views that come with the rooms!
- Orli La Jolla – Simple yet classy, this downtown La Jolla hotel has an amazing terrace and a shared seating area where you can access the hotel’s complimentary Wi-Fi! The rooms have amazing decor where the earth colors fill the space. I suggest the double rooms with bunk beds for families or the quadruple rooms with a sea view or private balcony.
Mid Range (US$500 – US$800)
- InterContinental San Diego, an IHG Hotel – Situated in downtown San Diego, and with San Diego Zoo less than 2 miles (3 km) away, this hotel offers comfort for the whole family including pets! There’s an onsite restaurant offering kids’ meals, an outdoor swimming pool, and a fitness center. The family suites can host 4 guests, and you can choose between sea and city views.
- Fairmont Grand Del Mar – Your family will feel like they are movie stars in this deluxe Carmel Valley hotel! With high-end decor that will make you feel like royalty, the hotel offers a kids club and pool! Plus, they have a spa, tennis court, and golf course for all the adults! The rooms come with soaking tubs, marble sinks, a flat-screen tv, and top-quality bathrobes.
- Omni San Diego Hotel – This simple and classic hotel in downtown San Diego (with a children’s park just minutes away) has everything you need for a comfy stay, a swimming pool, a spa center and fitness center, 3 onsite restaurants, and private parking for an additional cost.
- Del Mar Beach Hotel – If you and your family want to lay down on Del Mar beach all day long like geckos, jump into the ocean and play in the sand, this hotel by the beachfront is ideal for you all! The hotel offers beach amenities like umbrellas, boards, and towels to all guests, and there is a picnic area you can use and have a lunch break before getting back to the beach!
- Residence Inn by Marriott Downtown/Bayfront – Enjoy downtown San Diego staying at this hotel, with the beach and Lane Field Park just steps away to visit with your kids. The hotel has a lovely rooftop with a heated swimming pool open to all ages, and a bar for the grown-ups to enjoy. All the rooms are family-friendly and come with a private kitchen, a flat-screen tv, and an ensuite bathroom.
- Residence Inn San Diego La Jolla – Feel right at home and enjoy a wholesome vacation staying at this hotel in La Jolla, just a 20-minute drive from Mission Bay. This warm and homey hotel comes with an outdoor swimming pool, BBQ facilities, and a breakfast buffet with kid-friendly options! I highly recommend the 2 bedroom suite (Family Suite) with a full kitchen, or the Executive Suite with a living room and sofa bed!
Budget (up to US$500)
- The Guild Hotel – This fashionable downtown San Diego hotel has a mix of art decó styles that you’ll love! They have 2 onsite restaurants, a bar, and a fitness center, and the bedrooms have a cool industrial vibe and come with all the amenities you need, like a private bathroom with toiletries. P.S., early check-in is possible in this accommodation!
- Pacific Terrace Hotel – This place has all the commodities of a luxurious hotel, located in central San Diego by the beach. There’s an amazing terrace with a swimming pool and a hot tub overseeing the ocean! How cool is that?! I highly recommend the Family Suite which comes with 2 large double beds, a sofa bed, a private balcony, and a bathtub!
- Staypineapple, Hotel Z, Gaslamp San Diego – This pineapple-themed hotel in downtown San Diego is so cute, you and your kids will want to stay indoors, the hotel’s facilities include daily housekeeping and a coffee station where you can get delicious pineapple-shaped cookies! The rooms are comfortable and come with cable TV, a private bathroom, complimentary toiletries, bathrobes, and slippers.
- Embassy Suites by Hilton San Diego La Jolla – Book any of the king suites offered by this La Jolla hotel and get a spacious ensuite room to spend quality time with your family! All the suites come with a pay-per-view TV and air conditioning. In the common spaces of the hotel, you can find an indoor pool, a fitness center, and an onsite restaurant and bar!
- Best Western PLUS Island Palms Hotel & Marina – Wow! This Point Loma hotel has a private marina, a big swimming pool, a hot tub, a fitness center open to all guests, and amazing views all around! Book one of their family rooms for the best night’s sleep you’ll ever have!
- TownePlace Suites – Looking for a strategic stay in Kearny Mesa? Then this hotel is great for you, offering family suites with a little kitchenette, so you can eat privately with your family before heading to explore the area! You’ll also find a swimming pool and a fitness center – so you don’t have to worry about missing out on your exercise regime!
BONUS: Best VRBOS in San Diego for families
How could I end this post without sharing with you these amazing San Diego VRBOs for families?
To be honest, these VRBOs can be enjoyed by families or groups of friends! I have mentioned 6 options, and they are organized by price range, starting with the most expensive first. The prices per night for 2 adults and 2 kids go from US$260 to US$900.
1. Right On The Beach!
Oh la la! This condo located in mission beach has a beachfront and a balcony where you can sit with your family to enjoy the view! With 3 floors, 5 beds, 3 full bathrooms with bathtubs to relax, and even a laundry room so the kids can get as messy as they like!! Being right next to the beach definitely has its perks, and the kids will love it!
2. Family Fun! Mission Bay view!
Located in Bay Park, this villa-style house can host up to 12 guests, making it perfect for big families! The house has 3 bedrooms and a master bedroom, 3 bathrooms, a spacious kitchen, and a garden with a patio to enjoy the summertime! Perfect for those summer nights!
3. The Seagull House
This cute house located in Pacific Beach will make you feel at home! With 3 bedrooms and a living room with a sofa bed, it can host up to 8 guests. There’s a crib for babies as well, and you’ll love the cute little patio where you can enjoy breakfast with the family or have a BBQ!
4. Explore our slice of paradise!
If you have a large family, you’ll really like this option. This accommodation is pet-friendly and doesn’t charge extra if you bring them on vacation with you! Plus, you’ll LOVE the fact that this house is located steps away from dog beach! The house has 2 bedrooms, one with a queen bed and the other with a bunk bed, and 2 air twin beds are available for extra guests!
5. Historic Gem in the Heart of Little Italy!
Enjoy downtown San Diego and Little Italy staying at this house featuring a living room with a pool table, and a kitchen with all the amenities you need, such as a microwave, coffee maker, and toaster. There’s enough space for the whole family, and I promise you’ll love the quaint decoration and cozy vibes!
6. You’re just a few steps to the bay AND the beach!
This adorable 2 bedroom cottage with a patio can host up to 6 guests! If you love a cute place to stay, you’ll definitely love this option. This accommodation has a bathroom with a shower and bathtub, air conditioning, and cable channels! The best thing about this cottage is the location, right in Mission Beach, and steps away from the beach!
FAQs about the best San Diego suite hotels for families
👩👧👦 Which is the best San Diego hotel for large families?
🛌 Which San Diego hotel has 2 bedroom suites?
Residence Inn San Diego has 2 bedroom suites and even a suite with 2 bedrooms and a living room! Otherwise, most of the hotels on this list are really flexible and most of them have options for 2 beds if that’s something you’re interested in.
🍳 Which San Diego hotel comes with fully equipped kitchens?
🏖️ Which San Diego hotel is by the beachfront?
That’s all for today, folks! I’ve covered a wide range of options for all budgets and all tastes for a chic yet homey family vacation in this post about the best San Diego suite hotels for families!
To be completely honest, I love all of the options I have mentioned in this post, and I’d be more than happy to stay in any of them, but if you want to know my absolute 2 favorites, those are:
- Rancho Valencia Resort & Spa – It looks so luxurious all I want to do is relax by the pool and have a glow-up spa day!
- The Guild Hotel – I love the style of this hotel, it’s so chic and hip! It is located downtown and the beach is not far away!
Which of these hotels for families in San Diego was your favorite? Let me know in the comments, and then go and book your dream hotel room before someone else does! Booking in advance is crucial if you want to get the best rates!
Until the next one,
Pin it for later!
Pin it for later!